Using landscape as inspiration, traveling offered Reid endless opportunities for sketching and painting. As a child in his native Bermuda, Reed was introduced to watercolour painting. After his move to Canada, Reed renewed his interest in painting during his studies at McMaster University. Art remained a main focus of Reed’s life. He had a successful painting career with numerous exhibitions. His work is found in many private and public collections including the National Gallery of Canada. Reed was a very talented artist and we are proud to feature his work at Wellington Gallery.
The City of Kawartha Lakes (2016 population 75,423) is a unitary municipality in Central Ontario, Canada. It is a municipality legally structured as a single-tier city; however, Kawartha Lakes is the size of a typical Ontario county and is mostly rural. It is the second largest single-tier municipality in Ontario by land area (after Greater Sudbury).
The city's name is from the Kawartha Lakes. Kawartha is an anglicization of Ka-wa-tha(from Ka-wa-tae-gum-maug or Gaa-waategamaag, meaning), which was coined in 1895 by the aboriginal Martha Whetung of the Curve Lake First Nations. It meant "land of reflections" in the Anishinaabe language, according to Whetung. The word was later changed by tourism promoters to Kawartha, meaning "bright waters and happy lands."[
Killarney is a municipality located on the northern shore of Georgian Bay in the Sudbury District of Ontario, Canada. Killarney is commonly associated with Killarney Provincial Park, which is a large wilderness park located to the east of the townsite which occupies much of the municipality's expanded boundary.
The area was first settled in 1820 by French Canadian fur trader Étienne Augustin de Lamorandière and his Anishinaabe wife Josephte Saisaigonokwe, who established a trading post named Shebahonaning (canoe passage) at the townsite.
Killarney was operated as a fishing camp by the Fruehauf Trailer Company in Detroit, Michigan. Roy Fruehauf, president of the company from 1949 to 1961, was primarily responsible for operating Killarney. Clients and guests would be flown in via Mallard sea planes for vacations during the warmer summer months.